It’ll Be the Bee’s Knees, Baby! Sultans of Swing Flapper Ball, October 29
Put on your best 1920s garb and dance the night away at CELIA’s upcoming Flapper Ball. The ball will be held at historic Memorial Hall in downtown Dayton and features music, dancing, and literary readings from the first decades of the 20th Century, Saturday October 29, 2016, 6-10 p.m.
The evening features:
- 3 decades of dance music from the teens through the ’30s by the nationally acclaimed Classic Jazz Stompers
- Readings from the literary giants of the times, Hughes, Lardner, and Parker
- On-the-spot Charleston and Lindy Swing dance lessons and contests
- A Prohibition-era speakeasy complete with bathtub gin
- A sumptuous flapper buffet
This not-to-be missed evening is the final signature event in The Sultans of Swing CELIA series, a celebration 100 years of baseball, jazz, and short fiction. Kick up your heels and experience the cultural impact of these uniquely American art forms through jazz music and literature of the early 20th Century.
See a preview of the evening and purchase tickets at www.wright.edu/baseball
Sponsored by CELIA, Ohio’s Center of Excellence for Collaborative Education, Leadership, and Innovation in the Arts, and Wright State University’s College of Liberal Arts.