Winters Last Blast
Winter’s Last Blast
Contributed by Dennis Goebel, Vice President, Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
You may be dreaming of spring, but don’t forget the cold, hard facts: Old Man Winter still has plenty of time to deliver a deadly blizzard or ice storm. Follow these tips if you lose power in your home or are stranded in your car.
- Replenish dwindling emergency supplies, including food, water, and batteries.
- Stock plenty of dry logs for your fireplace.
- If you lose electricity that powers your thermostats and furnace, wear warm clothes and keep extra blankets nearby. NEVER turn on a gas oven to supply heat.
- Instead of candles, use flashlights and battery-powered lanterns to provide light.
In Your Vehicle
- Stay inside, but if it’s safe to do so, hang a colored cloth on your antenna or lay flares on the road to indicate distress.
- Run the heater for 10 minutes every hour with the engine on so you don’t drain your battery.
- Crack a window for fresh air.
- Put on extra layers of clothing or wrap yourself in a blanket.
- Try to stay awake if you’re alone or alternate taking naps with your passengers.
- If water is unavailable, melt snow before you eat it; otherwise it will lower your body temperature.
Liberty Mutual is a responsible company that delivers expert advice and caring service. For more information, please call 1-800-524-9400 or visit www.libertymutual.com/wsualumni In Dayton, call Todd Greenwalt at (937) 438-1966 ext. 53763. Coverage underwritten and provided by Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates, 175 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA 02116. ©2012 Liberty Mutual Group. All rights reserved.